Amazon iframe

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Worcester: Pedal to the metal

Image of bike commuter near Worcester, MassachusettsFrom the Worcester Telegram & Telegraph, 06.26.07:

Riding bikes to work is joyful and healthy
Paul Kelly, 56, a teacher at Bancroft School in Worcester, said his colleagues assume he rides his bicycle to work for his health. He doesn't. "It's totally to save greenhouse gases," he said. "Any job I've ever taken I've located close enough to work so that I could bike or walk. I’ve pretty much kept to that," he said.

"I've had cars, but I pretty much hate them," said Matthew Caswell, who doesn't own a car and bikes four miles from his house on Normal Street in Worcester to his job in multimedia services at Worcester State College. "I've always had a bike. It's a form of exercise and a way to negate the car culture," he said. (Read more.)
This general bike commuting article includes interviews with several local bike commuters, and comments from spokespeople from MassBike and the League of American Bicyclists.

As a Massachusetts native--and, yes, that means I'm a Red Sox fan--I know that many areas of the state are outstanding for bicyling, especially the Pioneer Valley, Cape Cod, and the Islands. And that much of the suburban Boston area can be very challenging for bicycle commuting. Lots of narrow colonial era roads carrying too much traffic.

Image: Worcester Telegram & Gazette
Visit: Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips Site

No comments: