Amazon iframe

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Cyclists Share a Healthy Passion

Image of wet weather bicyclist
From the Hartford Courant, 01.06.08:

Cyclists Share Adventures In Commuting
I just finished my first full season of commuting by bicycle, so I'm thrilled by the opportunity to share the experience. Although there are other benefits to commuting by bicycle, I do it for the exercise. Before I started bicycling to work, I walked, ran, swam and danced. But exercise is time-consuming. With an ever busier life, it was tough. Now it is literally a breeze. Instead of a 20-minute commute by car, I have a pleasant 35-minute commute by bike. For the first time in 15 years, I'm down to my normal weight.

The biggest problem with bicycling is not the traffic, as most drivers are very courteous. The biggest problem is the weather. Nearly every day is either too hot, too cold, too wet or too windy. It seems like there is a 50 percent chance of rain every day. It takes a fair investment in the proper clothing to deal with the weather. But the expense is more than offset by the savings in gasoline alone, never mind the other car costs. (Read more.)
Six bike commuters from Greater Hartford, Connecticut, offer inspiration and motivation. An impressive amount of commentary in the leading newspaper of a state not particularly known for bicycle-friendliness.

Image: Hartford Courant
Visit: Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips

1 comment:

Noah said...

My usual motto is that there's no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices.

Of course, I'm about as well known for my sanity as Hartford is known for it's bicycle friendliness.